Sunday, November 10, 2013

Belated Halloween

I've complained before about how Korea doesn't "do Halloween right." Be aware that I'm biased. By many country's standards, Korea doesn't just do Halloween right, it actually goes overboard with parties for the kids, costumes in the stores, and the whole expatriate community throwing multiple celebrations all week long. But by American standards, Korea's Halloween can be a bit disappointing. "Why doesn't everything come in a pumpkin flavor?" we wonder, trudging through the non-spooky streets. "Where are the trick-or-treaters demanding candy? Why don't all the stores have at least five aisles dedicated to  costumes and Halloween home decor? In short, why is there still money in my pocket in October?"

I'm pleased to say, though, that Halloween: Korean Edition was actually quite nice this year. There was a pumpkin carving party, a costume party, a party at my university, and a Dia de los Muertos party. I received my usual fabulous Halloween Care Package from home, which included many artificial candles that are flickering around me as I write. Best of all, Linus and I got to do something we've wanted to do for years: dress as Gomez and Morticia Addams!
The creepy and the kooky!
Morticia loves her plants.

A less artistic shot, so you can see the bottom of the dress. The lace tendrils extend only from the back, for easier walking, but in this shot I have them wrapped around my feet.

So yes, Halloween was a success.

In other news, I've been thinking about doing some outfit posts. My style has a lot of incarnations these days, including Vampire Schoolmistress, Black Forest Mori Girl, Cozy Goth, and Laundry Day. We'll start with this shot, which was a selfie I took to show Linus my new hat.

The hat is Russian Princess, but the lace shirt and Victorian brooch are Vampire Schoolmistress.
So...Russian Vampire Princess?


4 comments: